Your WBFJ Family Station Forecast Mostly sunny…High 51
Requesting copies of vital records just got a little easier in Forsyth County with the launch of an online system.You can now request and pay for certified copies of birth, death and marriage certificates online using credit cards. People can also still request copies by mail or in person. The Forsyth County Register of Deeds office launched the Permitium online order and payment system at the start of December. The system notifies people through email or text message that the office has received their applications. Customers can check the status of their order online. They can choose to receive the copies by mail or pick them up at the ForsythCountyGovernmentCenter. Certified copies cost $10 each. There are also convenience, postage and credit card fees up to $4.40. Uncertified copies are also available for 50 cents and the additional fees.
.MANY HAPPY RETURNS? While some stores loosen their return policies during the holiday season to allow for an easier return process, Better Business Bureau warns that some stores could be tightening their policies due to an increase in return fraud. To put you the best position for a happy return or exchange, BBB offers this advice:
• Know and understand the seller’s return policy. Most return policies will be listed on a company’s website or on the back of the receipt. Make sure to fully understand what’s required for a return or exchange, and if you have questions, call the store directly to ask about your specific situation.
• Keep original packaging. Some stores may require products be returned in original purchase condition, unused or un-opened.
• Bring identification. Because of return fraud, some retailers will ask for identification when making a return. If you’re returning or exchanging a gift that you bought, bring the credit card used to make that purchase.
• Read product warranty first. In some cases, retail stores are not liable if the product turns up defective or damaged. They may require consumers to mail the product directly to the manufacturer in order to receive monetary refunds, credit or product replacement.
• Don’t delay. In almost every case, a store will require an item be returned within a specific time frame. If you wait too long, you may miss your chance at returning the item.
• Keep the receipt. Include a gift receipt with all gifts, so it’s
How many shopping days till Christmas? Online shopping grows, with some growing pains… Americans waited until the last minute to buy holiday gifts, but retailers weren’t prepared for the spike.Heavy spending in the final days of the mostly lackluster season sent sales up 3.5 percent for the periodThe late surge caught companies off guard. UPS and FedEx failed to deliver some packages by Christmas due to a combination of poor weather and overloaded systems, leaving some unhappy holiday shoppers. Amazon is offering customers with delayed shipments a refund on their shipping charges and $20 toward a future purchase. The last-minute surge this year solidifies the increasing popularity of online shopping, which accounts for about 10 percent of sales during the last three months of the year. It also underscores the challenges that companies face delivering on the experience, particularly during the holiday shopping season that runs from the beginning of November through December. Analysts say FedEx and UPS typically work closely with big retailers to get a sense of the volume of packages they’ll handle during peak times like the holiday season. Extra flights, trucks and seasonal workers can be added if the projections are large. Another problem was the growing popularity of retailers offering free shipping. Amazon, for one, has a two-day free shipping offer that comes with its $79 annual Prime membership. The company said in the third week of December alone, more than 1 million people signed up for the membership.
A Raleigh woman on her way home from work had the unthinkable happen yesterday afternoon when she became stuck in a bank’s deposit box. It happened at the Bank of America branch on Fayetteville Street in Raleigh. The woman dropped a deposit bag in and one of the levers closed on top of her somehow and her hand got stuck inside. The woman was dropping off the earnings from her company’s workday when the incident occurred. Firefighters used saws to break into the box from the front and the back to try to free the woman’s hand. Finally after about an hour, her hand was able to be freed. That woman was hurt and was taken to the hospital with a hand injury, but she is expected to be okay.
FRANK SPENCER CLASSIC @ THE JOEL COLISEUM TODAY: Semi Final Action: W-S Prep vs East Forsyth, Mt Tabor-Forsyth Country Day (Champion Bracket)….Reynolds vs Parkland, Lexington-West Stokes (Pepsi Bracket)
NEW YEARS HOLIDAY SCHEDULES: ♦ Winston-Salem city offices and ForsythCounty offices will be closed Wednesday.♦ Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools will be closed through Jan. 6.♦ Garbage collections Tuesday will be on a normal schedule; Wednesday and Thursday will be postponed one day; Friday’s collection will be made Jan. 6.♦ Yard-cart collections Monday and Tuesday will be on a normal schedule; Wednesday and Thursday will be postponed one day.♦ Blue-week recycling collections Monday and Tuesday will be on a normal schedule; Wednesday through Friday will be postponed one day.
Your WBFJ Family Station Forecast
Today: Mostly sunny…High 51
Tonight: Mostly clear…Low 28
Saturday: Increasing Clouds…High 56 (Rain late tomorrow night)
Sunday: Showers Early…High 43
Looking Ahead: Sunny and much cooler New Years Eve & New Years Day
MON-FRI 1P-3P, SUN 6A-10A